Sunday 19 October 2008

Serious Post: LaTeX Tomboy!

Well not really I thought I would put up a post that is actually useful to someone. Possibly.

Anyway this post is going to be the first on useful bits and pieces I've found for Linux.

so here goes: LaTeX for tomboy notes.

reasonably obscure I know, and probably only useful to the very very small number of people who use tomboy for more than just very basic notes but it is useful (and once I fully get to grips with latex it will, no doubt be even more useful).

Firstly you have to have to have version 0.12 of tomboy notes as a minimum. If you need help with this on ubuntu I suggest you look here http://ubuntu-virginia.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=928585 otherwise I suggest giving it a google if it isn't part of your package manager.

Next you need to make sure you have a latex render so go to your package manager and search for LaTeX and make sure that you have enough to get a fully working version going (for me I used texlive which needed a '-base'; '-base-bin'; '-latex-base' and '-latex-recommended' as well as '-fonts-recommended') Once this was installed another quick search for 'image-magick' and another install (just so you know the latex packages are for latex - duf and image-magick allows the text to be rendered as code).

With these installed you just need to go here http://www.reitwiessner.de/programs/tomboy-latex.html and download the .tar.gz a simple:

$ tar -zxvf tomboy-latex-0.5.tar.gz
$ sudo ./configure
$ sudo make
$ sudo make install

this should add a "LaTeX Math Addin" to Preferences>>add-ins>>Tools clicking enable will give you full access to LaTeX rendered text within your notes when enclosed between \[...\]



1 comment:

Nikita Evseev said...

Thank you! Useful post!